Antennae is our fifth annual open call for international submissions by post.
This year the project in London and Athens will take place during a volatile and uncertain year for Europe. As a London-based gallery, ran by people of diverse nationalities, we are affected in different ways by the reality of political boundaries and processes which exist independently of us. These force us to consider matters of nationality and geography.
We will be returning to a city where our last project aimed at addressing Greek austerity. A year later we find ourselves in a climate of increasingly instability at home. This sense of uncertainty pervades all aspects of culture and the different ways in which artists respond to this, directly or indirectly, is what we will seek to capture through curation.
As last year, this will be a two-part project, with a viewing in London, followed by an exhibition at Platforms Project in Athens. All works submitted to the open call will be shown in London and the application fees of artists not selected for this first stage of the project will be refunded. The project’s curators will then use the works on display in London as a basis from which to draw an exhibition which they feel contextualises the more immediate mood of the time – something that seems constantly in the balance and on the verge of explosive development.
Application Guidelines Summary
- All submitted works will be shown in London or your fee back.
- The price of each work must not exceed €300.
- Artists are invited to submit up to three artworks in any medium by posting through the gallery’s letterbox either in person or through the post. The internal dimensions of our letterbox are 6 cm by 24.5 cm.
- For videos we will provide projectors with headphones (shared loop) but you are welcome to send us your own display/device (player, tablet, weird homemade screen thing, wtv) as long as it conforms to our maximum dimensions. Videos should be sent as mp4 files on pendrives.
- For sound pieces under 3 minutes we will provide a player with headphones (shared loop) but again you are welcome to send us your own audio device (mp3 player, discman, walkman, mini gramophone, wtv) as long as it conforms to our maximum dimensions. Sound works should be sent as mp3 files on pendrives.
- All wall pieces must have a hanging mechanism. Paper works will be hung with magnets which we provide unless another method is requested.
- No judging from digital submissions – all work will be looked at.
- All funds raised will go towards the costs of the project and the running of the gallery – we are a non profit organisation.
For more information and to apply, please click link